Mad Men Dress // Tatyana

17:07 Unknown 0 Comments



Brooch: Op Shop/Thrift Shop
Glasses: [eBay]
Shoes: Op Shop/Thrift Shop (no label)

Tatyana's Vickie dress is another of the million dresses I've been lusting after for a long time. I finally got my hands on this beauty during their 50% off sale in February and, let me tell you, not only was she worth the wait, but I'd say she's worth the full price tag of $126 USD. I know this dress has been featured and reviewed by a million bloggers but I just had to show you guys. I've been trying to find the perfect way to showcase her since she arrived on my doorstep and with the help of my friend I think we were able to do her justice.

The very first thing that struck me about Vickie when I was performing my daily ritual of scouring the internet for things I really can't afford to buy, was that it really reminded me of Christina Hendricks in Mad Men. Full disclaimer: I haven't actually seen Mad Men yet. I know, I can't believe it either. It's from a combination of my absolutely not having the time to watch it, and also my fear that if I do watch it I'll never do anything else with my life ever again. I just don't have time for that sort of commitment, you know? But, from what I've seen, I do love Joan's (and all of the other ladies) outfits. Green just looks so good with red hair. I've built pretty much my whole wardrobe based around things that look good with red hair and whenever I wear green I get a little bit sad about the fact that I'm actually in the process of going blonde! I wish I was like Tonks from Harry Potter and could just change my hair colour at will. I feel like I'm a redhead at heart, but you've got to have a change sometimes, right?

Anyway, we're getting distracted. Let's carry on...

Pencil dresses are one of the scariest things for me to buy online. I'm pear shaped (I think?) and typically where I'll buy the smallest size in everything for my waist and bust, my hips and butt need a lot more wiggle room. I ordered Vickie in an XS which, according to the size chart, should fit a 32" bust, a 24" waist, and 35" hips. My hipbones sit around the 34" mark, so they'd be in the clear, but the concern for me is that below my hips I have these glorious saddlebags that come in at 38". On the size chart that would pit me at a medium in the bottom and an XXS-XS in the top (although Vickie doesn't come in an XXS). Clearly I took the gamble and went with the XS and can I just take this moment to say praise the lord for stretch fabric!

Vickie stretches to hug all your curves without looking puckered or taught around the front and back. She's also firm and compresses and bulges, without feeling tight or uncomfortable. It's magical, honestly. I'm usually pretty self-conscious about my large and in charge hips but this dress is just so flattering.

One of my favourite details about this number is the slight gathering under the crossover waist. It flatters the tummy and disguises any little lumps or bumps you might have there. The crossover detail itself is an incredible design feature as it adds interest to the dress (and the little button at the back is so cute) but also nips in your waist. With a good padded bra I can actually pretend I have an hourglass figure. Speaking of bras though, one thing I noticed for me with wearing a "normal" bra is that because I had a little room in the bust (and probably a little room in the bra) the fabric would rest on the bra leaving these lines across my chest. Not all that sophisticated. I'll have to explore some other bra options.

I'm sorry this has been such a picture heavy post. There were so many amazing photos I was struggling to decide which ones to post. Hair and makeup artist, friend and fellow blogger, Camille Tragear, did my hair and makeup for these shots, as well as taking the photos which I then edited. A massive thank you to her for her work. She really captured the look I wanted. You can find Camille's blog [here] and her hair and makeup work [here].

0 comments: